Discussion Forum

Register or login to join the discussion.

Register now

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : 13 December 2017 13:48:58(UTC)

Hi all, I've been trying to clean / revive / decide whether to dispose of some old analytical gel filtration columns we have. In particular, I've performed an injection of 50 µl 0.2% acetone on a Superose 6 10/300 GL (not Increase). The numbers I get out indicate the theoretical plates / metre are 8940, with peak asymmetry 1.31. Could anyone from GE let me know how this compares to the expected values and whether this column is still worth using or should we dispose of it? Many thanks. Kind regards, Roger
GE Jon  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2017 10:36:50(UTC)

A general recommendation we give is to test your column when it is new on your chromatography system to get a reference value. The reason is that the values that we are providing are determined on a chromatography system that is optimized for performance tests with very small system volumes. The same efficiency may not be possible with other systems since they usually have more system volumes that dilute the sample and gives broader peaks. The plate number and peak asymmetry from the first test on the new column is then your reference values which you can check the column performance. With that said, the values you obtained indicate that the column is not in its best shape. If you have not cleaned the column according GE:s recommended cleaning procedures then that is the first procedure that you should do. The cleaning procedures can be found in the instruction for the column. If the values do not change afterwards (higher plate number and an Asymmetry closer to 1) then it might be necessary to replace the column. Best regards Dr. Jon Lundqvist, Scientist R&D GE Healthcare